These red potatoes are really tasty, especially dipped in a tiny bit of vegan ranch dressing. They have a nice mix of chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper and paprika. I tried making these last night for Sara's birthday dinner, but I cut the potatoes too large and they burned outside while they remained raw inside. It was a total failure. I don't deal well with failure, so I gave them another go for dinner, and they turned out really well.
My hints for this recipe:
- Be sure if you make them, cut your baby red potatoes really small (I cut them into 1/4-inch pieces or slightly larger). That way they'll cook evenly and won't result in total cooking failure like I experienced last night.
- Mix the spices in a tiny prep bowl and add slowly, tasting as you go along. What tastes amazing to me might be too much for someone else or vice versa.
Here's My Recipe:Click Here to Print This Recipe
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. baby red potatoes
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Chop potatoes as noted in the hints above.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch straight sided skillet over medium heat for about 4 minutes, or until shimmering not smoking.
- Add potatoes in single layer in leave about 5 minutes without stirring (this helps brown the potatoes on that side). Check a few pieces to see if the bottoms are browned.
- Stir potatoes around with a wooden spoon and arrange in a single layer again, trying to get the browned sides of potatoes up so the opposite sides brown.
- Cook another 4-7 minutes, or until fork inserted into potatoes meets little resistance and outsides are lightly browned.
- Place a layer of paper towel into a bowl and place potatoes on top to soak grease. Using another paper towel, dab at potatoes until most oil is removed. Then, remove the paper towels.
- Shake spice mixture, a little at a time, over potatoes and toss to combine.. Add more spices as needed.