If you've been here before you may notice that I have a fascination (also read: addiction) with tacos. They're one of the best foods ever created, hands-down. Name a better food? You can't, can you? Ha. I win! So, anyway, when I was deciding what I wanted for dinner, I found the TVP along with some crunchy taco shells and half a jar of salsa. Thus, my TVP taco recipe was born.
And for those of you following the VegNews meat photo debacle, these photos are mine and they are 100% vegan!!
Anywhooo, here's my recipe. It makes kind of a lot...more than I anticipated, actually. I'd say it makes about 10-12 tacos depending on the size of them.
- 1 cup TVP/TSP
- 3/4 cup plus 3 TB veg broth
- 1 TB Braggs aminos
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup chunky salsa of your choice (I maybe used a bit more)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced (I used an orange one since it was on sale)
- 1 1/2 TB Meg's Taco Seasoning or your favorite spice blend
- 1 TB olive oil
- salt and pepper
- In a small pot, bring the broth, Braggs, garlic powder and onion powder to a boil with the lid on. Once boiling, remove from the heat and stir in the TVP until you don't see any dry spots. Let set aside for about 8 minutes while the TVP re-hydrates.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper. When the onion is translucent (5-6 minutes), add the taco seasoning, salsa, and re-hydrated TVP. Mix well.
- Heat through, about 7-8 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. It should look like this:
No matter how you assemble your taco, you have me to thank! Hahahaha. I'm kidding. Sort of. Mwaahaaahaaaaaa!