I love food with a kick, and that's what I was really craving today. I used a little bit of everything in this scramble as I had lots of odds and ends in my fridge that needed to be used up. Really, you could probably use any veggies you want. I don't have an exact recipe for this one. Fly by the seat of your pants, live a little. Be creative. Make it yours.
This pseudo recipe make enough for 4 little tacos or 2 big burritos. I only say pseudo because I'm not certain of the measurements. I just kind of threw things together without much thought.
- 1/2 block tofu, pressed, then crumbled with your fingers or a fork
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 TB green pepper, diced
- 4 cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 roma tomato, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp my taco seasoning (or your favorite brand)
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flake
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and heat for 2-3 minutes. Add in the onion, green pepper, garlic and tofu along with all of the spices. Stir well to coat the tofu in spices and oil. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they are softened, which took me about 4minutes. Don't forget to stir regularly though so that everything cooks evenly.
- When it is pretty much done, add in the chopped tomato and cook until heated through. Maybe 3-4 minutes. Any longer and it will pretty much disintegrate the tomatoes. Serve on tortillas and top with some warmed salsa. I just put mine in a tiny ramekin and heat in the microwave for about 15 seconds. Mmm mmm. So tasty and spicy.