You're probably thinking that strawberry and basil seem odd together, and I agree. However, they taste wonderful. Take my word for it...or not. Whatever floats your boats, amigos. I'm not here to tell you what to do. Wait! Yes, I am! Do as I say. Make the yummy jam. Use fresh sweet strawberries and fresh sweet basil for the, uh, freshest jam. And by fresh, I mean cool. Like the Fresh Prince. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. You know you watch it on re-runs.
Makes 1 half-pint jar.
- 1 slightly heaped pint of strawberries, leaves/stems removed, chopped
- 3 TB agave syrup
- 1 heaped TB basil, minced
- pinch salt
- Put all the ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a hard boil, stirring often. Let boil about 5 minutes.
- Then turn heat to medium-low and low boil for about 25 minutes, or until the top keeps getting a skin. Sounds gross, but you'll know it when you see it. Be sure to stir it occasionally. Carefully taste the jam and add more agave (or sugar) or basil as to meet your tastes.
- Very carefully pour or scoop the jam into your jar. Let sit until it cools to room temperature then add the lid and refrigerate.