Start cooking the potatoes before you start the sauce. Everything should come up about the same time that way.
Ingredients for gnocchi:
- 2 large Idaho potatoes
- 1/2 -2/3 cup flour plus a little extra for dusting your counter
- 1 flax egg (1 TB ground flax plus 3 TB warm water, mixed well)
- about half a tsp salt
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced, then chopped
- 1 heaped TB of vegan cream cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup plus about 1 tsp flour
- pinch sage
- pinch coriander
- salt and pepper
- Bake the potatoes until fork tender. Ha. Kidding. Microwave them (after poking with a fork) for 4 minutes. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes. When they are done, cut the potatoes in half and use a spoon to scoop out the insides.
- Put the potato guts into a mixing bowl along with the flax egg, salt and 1/2 cup flour. Mix with a hand mixer until it forms a soft dough that looks something like this:
- Form the dough by hand into a big ball that isn't sticky (use more flour if needed), and knead gently for about 1 minute. Cut it into a few balls, then toss some flour on your counter. Carefully roll out into long, skinny dough logs. Then cut with a knife so it looks like this:
- Bring a pot of water up to a boil and add a TB of salt. Boil the gnocchi in batches until they float to the top. Skim them out, draining off the water, then and add to your cooked sauce.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 4 minutes. Then add everything except the mushrooms and cream cheese. Whisk well, and bring to a very gentle boil, stirring often and being sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- After the sauce starts to thicken, add the mushroom and cream cheese and turn heat to medium-low. Whisk until the cream cheese is melted and taste for seasonings. Let thicken to your preference.
- Add your cooked gnocchi and mix well. Let the flavors come together for a few minutes before serving.