There are days when you just need a hot, filling meal...something comforting for your tummy to devour and enjoy. Oh yeah, that was today. I woke up super hungry and I couldn't stop thinking about casserole. WTF? I am sooooo not a casserole kind of girl. But, whatever, I needed comfort food and I didn't know what to make. I saw somewhere online that people seemed to really like the broccoli chickpea casserole in the Vegan with a Vengeance cookbook, so I whipped it out. The book, not "it." Get your damn minds outta the gutter.
Well, I have had my VwaV cookbook for a couple years now, and I have made exactly 1 recipe from it. I think there is something wrong with me. I really don't know why I never think to use it. Whatever. Anyway, I made the casserole on page 97 (you can also find it posted all over the internet), but with some changes, including making it a little bit smaller because I didn't have enough chickpeas. Here are the other changes I made:
- had no chives, so I added 2 cloves minced garlic instead
- more breadcrumbs, with some extra on the top
- added lots of pepper and some extra salt (my broth was low-sodium, so that may be why)
- added 1 cup Daiya cheddar into the mix, and will probably add a little more next time
- added about 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, but will add more next time
- added in a little garlic powder and onion powder- maybe 1/4 tsp garlic and 1/3 tsp onion
- I ran most of the chickpeas through my food processor instead of mushing with a fork. Saves time.
Here's what my version looked like before I baked it:
Here's what I blogged this day last year: Review of Strawberry Basil Preserves <--Click me!