Hark! I have discovered my very favorite tacos of all time! The lentil taco. So much awesomeness. Plus, any leftover lentils make some crazy-good nachos. Definitely rad. You should make them.
This batch made 6 large tacos and 2 huge servings of nachos.
What you need:
- 1 cup dry lentils
- about 2-2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp all-purpose seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- about 1 1/2 TB taco seasoning (I use my own blend. Recipe here)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa of your choice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Cook lentils in the broth with the cumin and all-purpose seasoning (if using). I leave my pot covered so that none of the broth evaporates. Mine took about 15-20 minutes, but cooking times vary by how old the lentils are. If they get too dry add more broth or water then cover again and cook until they are tender, but not mush. Once they're tender done, and nearly all the liquid is absorbed, remove the pot from the heat.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook 3 more minutes. Add the lentils, the spices and the salsa. Stir well and taste for seasonings. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Done.