|Forgive the shoddy photo, I was too hungry to spend time caring.|
Makes 4 servings as a side or 2-3 as a main dish.
What I used:
- 1/2 pound small-medium shell pasta
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets and steamed to your liking
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 TB vegan butter
- 1 more TB vegan butter
- 1 1/4 TB flour
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tsp ground mustard seed/powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Daiya mozza
- 1 1/3 cup Daiya cheddar
- Preheat your oven to 430 degrees F. Then, put a pot of salted water on to boil. Add the pasta and stir. While it is cooking, start the next step.
- In a large-ish pot (over medium heat) melt the 2 TB butter and add the milk. Then, whisk in the flour, red onion, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. When it starts to thicken and boil gently, add in the Daiya and whisk until nice and smooth.
- Drain your pasta and add it to the cheese sauce. Fold in the broccoli. taste for seasonings.
- In a small bowl, melt the other 1 TB of butter and mix in the breadcrumbs with a little salt or garlic salt.
- Scoop your mac and cheese into an oven-safe dish (I used 2 smaller rectangle Le Creuset stoneware baking dishes). Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the tops.
- Bake for 12 minutes on the top rack, then turn on the broiler for a minute or two to brown up the breadcrumbs.