Commonly known as slicing machine or slicer in most parts, meat slicer is a tool used to slice meat (basically). It can also be used to slice cheese, deli products and sausages. So, some people call it a “deli slicer”. You must have seen a slicer in butcher shops.
Older meat slicer models (they still exist) have crank to operate them. Nowadays, new and sophisticated models with electric motors are being used. Not only do they perform better, results are also better than manual models.
Why Meat Slicer for Home?
Slicing large pieces of meat, cheeses and deli products is not a new thing. In most places, people visit the butcher shops and delicatessens to cut meat into small pieces. Now, you can do it at home.
Ever since appliance went electric, we’ve seen substantial growth. Now almost everything that was supposed to be used only on commercial scale is now being made for households too. Meat slicers, like many other electric appliances, have become increasingly popular in households.
There is a wide variety of personal and commercial slicers in the market. Off course, they vary in performance, quality and functionality. This difference makes things difficult for people, especially those who’ve not used the tool before.
But before anything, keep in mind that the slicer is larger investment as compared to what you normally pay at the butcher shop. So, if you and your family are meat lovers, a meat slicer at home can save loads of time. Plus, you don’t have to wait for the weekend to visit the deli and get your meat sliced.
How to Find the Best Meat Slicer
First and foremost, you need to dig deeper and deeper into the product specs and features, shortlisting the ones that meet your expectations. Don’t forget to read life experiences of customers who have purchased those products. After spending hours of searching, reading and shortlisting, you’ll be able to come up with one or two models good for your kitchen.
Here are few things to consider:
- Performance is the key
A high quality meat slicer must be powerful enough to take on any type of meat. If a slicer has a power output up to 130 watts (at least) it can worn on most food types. Another thing to consider is how the motor works.
- Motor: Some slicers have belt-driven motors, some have gear-driven motors, while few models have both. Gear-driven motors are relatively more powerful and can process fibrous food and non-lean meats. At the same time, they’re more expensive and make more noise than belt-driven motors. Belt-driven motors, on the other hand, work best on lean meats and they are far quitter.
- Blade type: So, you need to consider what you’ll be using it for. You also need to consider the blade type. Meat slicers have either serrated blade or a blade with smooth edges. Serrated blade can slice tough meat and bread very well, but they can’t make clean slices of veggies. Non-serrated blade can process lean meats and veggies much better, but slicing touch meat and crusty bread can be hard for it.
- Thickness control: Typically, meat slicers feature thickness control knob so that you can decide how thick your slice should be. It’s located at the back of carriage area. Thickness control is numbered but these numbers are not standardized. Lower number means thinner slice.
- Safety Features
Slicer blades are quite sharp. So, they pose serious safety risks to the user. So, manufacturers make sure their models offer complete safety via built-in features.
- Most meat slicers feature recessed power button. This button ensures that the meat slicer remains off while moving it on the countertop.
- Meat slicers also feature hand guard systems, so that your fingers are protected from the blades while you slice.
- There is a blade-lock function as well, that stops the blade during slicing sessions or when you need to store the food.
- Rubber feet or suction cups help meat slicer to stand still on the countertop, during meat slicing.
- Some meat slicers feature dual safety switch for extra safety. But that can be a hassle in some cases.
You’re looking for convenience since you’re buying it, so the best meat slicer should be easy to use. This means, a slicer should be able to slice thin piece quickly and also offer quick cleaning. So, here’s what you should ask for:
- Food carriage: All good slicers offer a place to put the food while slicing it. There is a sliding rack bar to which the food carriage is mounted permanently, and it is irremovable. Some models have food carriages that swing outward, allowing you to lean the carriage after slicing the food, and clean it properly from the inside.
- Removable Blades: Normally, blades are removable, but be careful as they’re quite sharp.
- Motor Sound: As discussed above, gear-driven slicers are noisier than belt-driven counterparts. However, you’ll hear a sound up to 70dB. Some slicers start off at 60dB and reach close to 70dB in 5 to 10 seconds. Some slicers might go louder if you run them continuously beyond 10 seconds.
- Storage: You also need to make sure you had a proper place to store your meat slicer. There is no guessing, since slicer models have pretty much similar dimensions. So, before you go for a particular model, take measurements of the place where you want to store your appliance.
- Food tray: Food tray is a bonus if your slicer has it. It allows you to collect the food as it comes out of the slicer. Some slicers don’t have a food tray but they offer enough space to fit ordinary tray or plate.
- As slicers are one-time purchase and there are some safety concerns associated with them, you should choose the model that offer manufacturer warranty.
- To understand the appliance for assembling, dissembling, cleaning and storing, good meat slicer brands offer a product manual. So make sure yours has it too.
- You can contact the company, or find information on the brand’s website in order to remove your concerns. High-profile brands offer significant help and support to the users. They offer email or on-call support, as well as FAQ sections on their website.
Normally, online customers like you don’t have ample amount of time for such a long process. Therefore, we recommend you should go through our meat slicer reviews, because we’ve already tried and tested, and shortlisted the best models for you.
We have 3 best meat slicer models after closely monitoring several different models from the top makers. Each model has been gauged on performance, blade aspects, safety, dimensions and support. So, when you reached at the bottom of this post, you’d have already chosen the best food slicer for your kitchen.
So, let’s go!
1. Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer
Since you’re searching for the best food slicer, we’ve started with Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer. You’ll surely fall in love with the modernized look and finely polished surface. But it has more to offer:
- The silver colored meat slicer has all components made of stainless steel and aluminum. The construction is way beyond what you use to see in the market.
- There is a multi-purpose blade with a diameter of 7 inches. The stainless steel blade is meant to process all types of foods. Plus, you’re getting better control over thickness; 0 – 0.75 inches.
- Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer has all safety features. It offers recessed power button, blade lock and hand guard pusher as basic safety features, then there is a dual safety switch for more safety. The bottom of the unit features rubberized feet for resistant-free performance.
- With all those components, the meat slicer weighs just over 10 pounds. Its dimensions are 15 inches x 11 inches x 11 inches.
- Finally, you’ll get complete instruction manual, email support and on-call support from the manufacturers. Plus, you can go through FAQ section on the manufacturer’s website. Even better, the product comes with one-year limited warranty.
- Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Food Slicer for home seems like a one-time purchase, because of its durable body. It’s made from a combination of stainless steel and aluminum that makes it a long-lasting kitchen appliance.
- Powerful huge torque motor is another commendable factor of this meat slicer. It generates exceptional power and runs smoothly for long duration, without making too much noise.
- When you talk about Chef’s Choice 615 Food Slicer, you cannot forget about the ease-of-use. The model has received recommendations and praises just because of the convenience. Assembling and dissembling is effortless and quick, and we’ve also mentioned about long-lasting body.
- The meat slicer can process all types of food types. It can slice everything evenly and easily, especially the lean-meat.
- Although it’s powerful and consistent, the food slicer cannot process thick pieces of meat to well. You need to cut the meat thinner before processing it.
- Blade movement is another concern. They do run smoothly but they’re a little on the slow side, when we compared the model with other slicers.
- The food slicer may be expensive for some kitchens, but it’s well worth the investment when you consider its durability, safety features and ease of use.
Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer is the best in the market today. It has more safety features than any other food slicer. Plus, it’s blade is sharp enough to evenly slice most foods.
2. Chef’s Choice 609 Premium Electric Food Slicer
Chef’s Choice 609 Premium Electric Food Slicer offers durability, maximum safety and maximum convenience as compared to other models within the similar price range. Plus, you’ll get innovative design that will complement your modern kitchen.
- It has a large-capacity food carriage. Plus, its innovative cantilever design makes slicing smooth and quick.
- It has a durable body made of stainless steel and cast-aluminum.
- All components including the food carriage, the pusher, slicer blade, food deflector, and thickness control can be removed and re-assembled easily. So, you don’t have to spend too much time for cleaning this appliance.
- There is a safety fuse at the bottom that offers power surge protection.
- The food slicer is quite spacious, has dimensions of 15-inch by 10.5-inch by 11 inch.
- Chef’s Choice offers every type of help and support, including email, call and FAQ. Plus, you’ll get one-year limited warranty with the product.
- Chef’s Choice 609 is the best meat slicer for those who normally have thick meat cuts or bread for slicing. That’s because of the durable and large serrated blade of the model, backed by a high-torque motor.
- Chef’s Choice always consider end-user convenience and that’s why they produce sophisticated models that can be cleaned and maintained easily. This model is no exception. All components, including the food carriage can be removed for better cleaning.
- The best food slicer has been rated quite high due to its material and construction. Like the model we discussed above Chef’s Choice 609 is also made of cast aluminum and stainless steel. This is why the body can withstand the power generated by high-torque motor. Even if it slips off your hand, it can bear a few mishandling like that.
- Serrated blade is good for slicing thick meat and bread, but it cannot work too make smooth slices of lean meat or vegetables. You may want to buy an extra non-serrated blade for this purpose.
- In order to keep it working efficiently for a long period, you need some maintenance. The meat slicer should be well-greased occasionally. Even then, the maintenance cost is not that high.
The food slicer is meant for convenience and extended use. It has a durable, long-lasting body and can process most food types used on day to day basis.
3. Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer with 8.7-Inch Blade
If you want to slice toughest of meats and hardest of breads, you probably need FS-250 Food Slicer from Nesco. Featuring a large blade, powerful 180-watt motor and durable stainless steel body, Nesco FS-250 is there to challenge the best in the market today.
The most prominent feature of Nesco FS-250 180-watt Food Slicer has been its large blade. It has a diameter of 8.7 inches which is way beyond the industry standard blade dimensions. Even then, the food slicer offers total control over the thickness of slices, between 0 and 0.5 inches.
It has a sliding food carriage made of stainless steel. Sliding food carriage is easier to clean, and you don’t have to spend time in removing and reassembling it.
Nesco FS-250 offers maximum countertop stability because of the suction cups at the base. You’ll hardly find a slicer with suction cups, instead, most models have rubberized feet that wear out with time.
The food slicer is large and spacious, has dimensions of 11 inches x 10.5 inches x 15.5 inches. If you consider the components and their material, you’ll know why it’s 13.2 pounds heavy.
Nesco offers email support to its customers. Or you can go through FAQ section to remove your concerns about the product. Nesco FS-250 Food Slicer comes with online instruction manual.
Finally, the food slicer offers 1-year limited warranty, making sure you get the best value of your investment.
- When it comes to power and performance, Nesco FS-250 is right there among the leaders. It features a powerful 180-watt motor (better than industry standard) and a large 8.7-inch serrated blade (largest among top-rated models). The combination of blade and motor makes it a versatile slicer that can work smooth on all types of foods.
- The food slicer can be assembled and dissembled easily. According to the users, the food slicer takes just a few minutes to dissemble and cleaning takes almost no time.
- The gear-driven meat slicer works quite smoothly on all types of meal and it’s not loud either. The maximum noise it produced was at 62dB, while others go louder on extended slicing sessions.
- Because of the material, the motor, the blade and other components, Nesco FS-250 is amongst the heaviest meat slicers in the market. Plus, it features suction cups at the bottom that make it even harder to move on countertops.
- Although, blade is quite large and can work on most food types, the meat slicer offers limited control over thickness. You’re given thickness control options from 0 – 0.5 inches, whereas, there are models with wider range.
Nesco FS-250 is a powerful unit with large blade and all necessary safety features. It works equally well on all types of foods and that’s why we included in our list of best meat slicers.
By now, you’ve probably made up your mind about the best meat slicer for your kitchen. The models we’ve discussed in out meat slicer reviews are by far the best in terms of performance, kitchen convenience, safety and storage. They are also fairly priced.
Even if you’re looking for other models, make sure they have the following characteristics.
- Consider sharpness of blade, its diameter and material quality. Also consider that it must offer maximum control over thickness.
- Make sure that the food slicer offers hand safety, handling safety and countertop safety,
- Consider high quality material; either combination of aluminum and stainless steel or just stainless steel.
- Best meat slicer should have a high torque motor with a capability of producing at least 130 watt power
- The meat slicer must also offer ease of assembling and dissembling
- Consider brands that offer complete support from the manufacturer – email/phone support, FAQs
- Finally, make sure that the product offers some kind of warranty. One-year limited warranty is ideal.